Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: New GPA 604-8 III's Question ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member drummerwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    New GPA 604-8 III's Question ?

    Just got a new pair of these 604 III's and starting to replace my old 604-8K's in my cabs.
    But just somethinng I thought odd !

    When mounted with the horn Horizontal as pictured, the terminals on the back side are oriented 90 degrees off and are position Horizontally too.

    Is this weird, or should the horn be Vertical , then backside terminals and labels are faceup ?

    Help me out here!

    Willie
    "And the beat goes on"<br /> Willie

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New GPA 604-8 III's Question ?

    Looks like that is right from the website....

    http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/down...604_8H_III.pdf

    -chris

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member gortnipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2008
    Posts
    244
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: New GPA 604-8 III's Question ?

    Yeah - that is how they are. I thought the same thing when I got mine, and asked Bill about it, and he said the terminals were supposed to be on the side.

    David

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member drummerwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New GPA 604-8 III's Question ?

    Side or top ........
    Right out of the box and in my cabs. I can notice a considerable difference in Hi frequency. Maybe stronger mids also than my 604-8K's.
    Definitely a more extended high end.

    I need to put some hours on them first to get the full story, when I had my 8K's reconed it took a couple of months for them to loosen up.
    Thanks all, I'll shot a couple of pics later.

    Have fun!
    Willie
    "And the beat goes on"<br /> Willie

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New GPA 604-8 III's Question ?

    How/with what are you crossing them?

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member drummerwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New GPA 604-8 III's Question ?

    I'm using a Jeff Markart Phase corrected 604-8h with oil caps and foil inductors.


    I think the bass appears tighter now with the III's

    Still listening!

    Willie
    "And the beat goes on"<br /> Willie

  7. #7
    Inactive Member chrismercurio's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2008
    Posts
    31
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Blh????

    Quote Originally Posted by drummerwill View Post
    When mounted with the horn Horizontal as pictured, the terminals on the back side are oriented 90 degrees off and are position Horizontally too. Is this weird, or should the horn be Vertical , then backside terminals and labels are faceup?
    It's how they are. I would prefer it if they were at the bottom of the driver, but what can you do?

    I have a question of my own, does anyone know of any BLH plans for the 604? (As if 6 different box contructions of my own weren't enough)

    Chris

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New GPA 604-8 III's Question ?

    I had a talk with a few people about this..... it would be one huge BLH.....

    I think the consensus was that going with a large 10^ft or larger mltl would probably reap better benefits... that is at least what I deduced form the conversation.....


    who knows.... has anyone built a BLH for these yet and willing to share their results/pain?


    Thanks,


    -chris

  9. #9
    Inactive Member chrismercurio's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2008
    Posts
    31
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New GPA 604-8 III's Question ?

    Quote Originally Posted by oface1 View Post
    I had a talk with a few people about this..... it would be one huge BLH.....
    I think the consensus was that going with a large 10^ft or larger mltl would probably reap better benefits... that is at least what I deduced form the conversation.....
    who knows.... has anyone built a BLH for these yet and willing to share their results/pain?
    Thanks,
    -chris
    I built the 10.5 cubic foot one...I was looking for increased efficiency, not the extension afforded by the MLTL.

    Anyone else? I probably should have PM'd GM about it. Thanks!

    Chris

  10. #10
    Junior Hostboard Member
    New GPA 604-8 III's Question ?


    Skip Pack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 19th, 2008
    Posts
    28
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: BLH thoughts

    Wasting time one day, I played around with the BIB spreadsheet
    and the 604E TS specs. You could make a massive corner thing,
    it seems. If you had a rectangular center box, much like most
    BIB's, you could have two exits to the sides with a septum
    at the top where the normal mouth is. These could feed two
    smaller "down" volumes with mouths exiting at the floor. The
    length works out. The driver would be a bit too high perhaps,
    and the whole thing would take about 7' out of your wall on
    the side and back walls (in each corner). You would make them
    as tall as you could while still being able to put them up -- multiple
    pieces or leave enough headroom to tip them up. This is an
    OSB thing for sure. The cost in Baltic Birch would be enormous
    at least for a proof of concept.

    Skip
    Skip Pack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.